Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Our rights to claim OT......


Today, I meet a very funny situation at the MOM (Ministry of Manpower), while I was waiting to be attended at the counter. A china worker (look young at the age of only a teenage) was complaining and a letter hand over which might be the complain letter. From the conversation I heard, he was trying to complain the employer for letting him work OT (Overtime).

The officer responded the employer has already paid the OT rate for him according.

According to employment regulation, employers have the rights to request employee to work OT , however if you are required to work more than 8 or 9 hours in a day / more than 44 or 48 hours a week / 88 hours in any continuous period of 2 weeks , employer MUST pay the OT rates to the employee.

If the china worker complains with the OT being paid, I then should have complained in my previous company for asking me to work 9am – 8pm almost everyday without any OT being paid. And working hours can be even longer if the projects are in the rush.

Now to think about it, really stupid of me not knowing my rights, but by looking my surrounding working mates, how many of them who are Singaporean will know their rights to ask for OT pay too?

Or they just remain quiet as they know everywhere is the same, is only the salary given is worth it or not.

Poor Singaporean , no wonder the blog :http://www.sgboss.net/
is a good place for nagging and cursing their bosses and company.

No comments: